Wednesday 5 May 2010

In the beginning


I've been accused many times in the past of being a book snob, which I guess I am. Instincts - or is that training - teaches me to always skip over certain sections in the bookshop. One of my blind spots is chick lit: everything about them, from the pastel covers, to the illustration of shoes and swirly writing on the cover, makes me shudder and move on. I'm guilty of prejudging women who I see reading chick lit, assuming that all they naively care about is having a boyfriend or being rich.

But this is all based on preconceptions. I've never really looked beyond the pink cover of one. An illuminating session at The School of Life called How to Read coincided with me finishing my latest reading book. I'm also rapidly approaching 30 and feel I surely should have by now at least dipped my toes in the tepid waters of chick lit. So I've decided to bite the bullet. I'm going to submerge myself solely in the world of chick literature for the next three months and read nothing else*. I've decided to find out what is it that makes women love these books so much and actually what it is that makes a good chick lit book. I'm hoping it won't have too many hazardous effects on my mental well-being.

At the outset of this adventure, I'm a reasonably average 29 year old. I was born in Grimsby but now live in London in a flat with my sister. I'm a non-fiction book editor 4.5 days a week and on my half day and in my spare time, I write for a couple of blogs. I love clothes, design and art, music and my books (you can see some of my favourites you can see at the top of this post). I also have a lovely boyfriend who I've been going out with for just under a year.

Will chick lit change the way I feel about any of this? And so chapter/month one begins. 


*I'll allow myself the reading for my book club.

No comments:

Post a Comment